Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Resilient Ones

As I prepare for my adventure into the orient for the next few years of my life, I must still give some attention to my faithful viewers.

Victor Mendalo in the Political Science Department at the University of Washington gives a rather lengthy presentation comparing the results of the Arab Spring in respects to regime. What has been noticeable are the steps taken to improve conditions in monarchies versus the steps taken to improve conditions in the republics. You know, those republics that were formed out of former monarchies that were overthrown by military coups (every one, with little exception) and began to brutally remake the Arab world through their lens of nationalism and despotism, making personalistic regimes with more nepotism that ever existed under the Arab monarchies. Corruption, human rights abuses, economic stagnation, and the proliferation of extremism (religious or otherwise), all under the boot of presidents using brutality and propaganda to stay in power, knowing that there is nothing traditional or legitimate in their regimes. Expansion of voting rights, economic concessions, and little to no violence, are what are found in the Arab nations still fortunate enough to have a living, breathing crown concerned with preserving the kingdom's people rather than purifying the land with "Islamism" or "Arab Nationalism".

2 comments:

  1. A very interesting thesis, CA Constantian! I've just downloaded the paper, and will read it as soon as I get the opportunity... I tend to be slightly more sympathetic to Arab nationalism on account of its tolerance of the region's Christians, but even I have to acknowledge its failures as a force for stability when compared with monarchy. Also, my apologies on not having replied earlier to your February post; and many thanks for the kind mention of my piece on St King Charles I - much appreciated!

    We need more monarcho-syndicalists in the blogosphere, I believe, who recognise and warn against the corrosive effect of capitalism on tradition every bit as much as we recognise the more violently destructive effect of communism. Saying that, though, between myself, you, John at EifD, John Medaille, David Lindsay and Dred Tory I certainly don't think we're particularly lacking in brainpower, just in bandwidth!

    Cheers,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr. Matthew,
    Don't worry if you can't make time to comment on my posts. I am guilty of the same thing.

    My issue with Arab Nationalism stems from my criticism of nationalism in general. While the alternative of extreme Islamism is certainly much worse, the ideology of ethnic/cultural centrism paves the road to minority agitation. And the desire to purge the influence of "foreigners" over the country - in reality - is just an excuse to establish a personality cult and/or remake the nation in the vision of the nationalist leader. Hence the instability and dictatorship proliferation.

    As for lacking bandwidth, I would add exposure. I am interested in seeing what would happen if pro-worker monarchism was more mainstream. And for me personally, more free time would be great.

    ReplyDelete